This year on 11, 12 & 13 October 2019, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway will be hosting a three day event to relive the amazing spirit and camaraderie of World War II.
We have a large selection of military and war-time related train books in our bookshop at Grosmont (as well as a good selection of other genres too!). Don’t forget to come and see us as you participate in this years celebrations!
Friday, Saturday & Sunday [taken from the NYMR website]
New for 2019: We are pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Eden Camp for this year’s display at Grosmont Station.
- Vintage Fairground Rides: Swingboats, Chair o Planes and Miniature Train ride.
- Traditional Wartime Children’s Games.
- Wartime Military Vehicles including Willy’s Jeep, Military Bike with Side Car, Tractor with Corn Grinder and Austin 7.
- Photo Opportunity. Remember your visit with Eden Camp RAF Photo Board.
- 1940s Sweet Shop
- Wartime First Aid Nurse Demonstrator/Talks.
Eden Camp have also provided an anti-aircraft artillery gun QF 3.7 which will be on display in a freight service which will be travelling along the heritage line.
- RAF Plotting Room in operation.
- RAF Battle of Britain Fighter Pilot’s replica dispersal hut as used by RAF Battle of Britain Fighter Pilots awaiting Scramble.
Saturday & Sunday
- Live music from the Seatones and Jive Mood.
- Live music from a Touch of Brass (Saturday) and Bugle Band (Sunday).
- 49th (WR) Signal Regiment, working display of military radio equipment.
- Ryedale branch of RAFA stand & trade stands.
- JWO “Field” First Aid Post display.
Sunday: Drum Head Service & Wreath Laying
- 11:50 Air Training Corps Band Standards (Cadets), Veterans, Re-enactors muster.
- 12:15 Parade march off to Drumhead service area.
- March on the Standards: Redcar Royal British Legion, Naval, Army Regimental and RAF Association Standards.
- Drumhead alter to be constructed from the drums of the Air training Corps band.
- Draping of Standards on Drumhead Alter.